No. 17 Portland (15-9) vs. No. 3 Thomaston (21-3)
- When: Saturday, 12 p.m.
- Where: Palmer Field, Middletown
- Championship game appearances: Portland 2 (1-0, lone title came in 1988); Thomaston 3 (1-1, lone title came in 2008).
- Watch: NFHS Network (subscription required)
- Players to watch: Portland: Justin Staub; Cole Ogorzalek. Thomaston: Brian Butkeivicus; Mike Milius; Blaise Russo.
- You should know: Both schools are looking for the schools second baseball state championship.. Both head coaches, Bob McMahon for Thomaston and Rick Borg for Portland were a part of the previous state championship teams, McMahon as the head coach for the Golden Bears in 2008, he was a freshman on the Golden Bears team that lost in the state finals in 1985 and Borg as an assistant coach for the Highlanders in 1988.. Three of the four tournaments wins by the Golden Bears have come against Shoreline Conference teams, Portland places in the Shoreline Conference.. Both starting pitchers are seniors, Brian Butkevicius for Thomaston and Jason Staub for Portland… The Highlanders have allowed just two runs during the tournament, four games and two shutouts, while the Golden Bears have relied on their bats, scoring 28 runs in four games… If Thomaston wins, it will be Bob McMahon’s second state title this season as a head coach. He won the Class S title with the Thomaston girls basketball team this past winter.
Who will win the Class M field hockey championship?
No. 3 Guilford (15-2-1-0)
No. 8 Sacred Heart Academy (12-6-1-0)
Total Response: 123 Votes