[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/119078855″ width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]
On the night his team nearly saw his team’s three-year win streak toppled vs. rival Seyour, Ansonia coach Tom Brockett took the Ansonia brand nation on Jeff Fisher’s High School Football America radio show.
Fisher is the editor-in-chief of High School Football America, a website dedicated to, well, high school football in America. His site keeps an eye on all the top teams and top players from the 50 states. He also hosts three radio shows: High School Football America, High School Football America/SoCal and the National High School Coaches Association’s Sports Hour.
Brockett let Jeff in on the history of Ansonia football and how he’s fit into the proud community. He talks about Arkeel Newsome and his place in Ansonia and state history, comparisons to Alex Thomas, his future at UConn and the men who block for him.
Then Brockett let the nation in on what Connecticut football is all about, which — to those of us who live here — was an interesting listen if only to hear how one of our best coaches speaks of this state.
Brockett called Connecticut’s Thanksgiving Day football tradition special. “There’s been talk about changing it for the playoffs… I hope we hold on to it forever,” he said.
“It’s the best day of the year. It that one time that you know that all the alumni, everybody gets a chance to see you play. …Kids play different on Thanksgiving. If you look over the years, teams that have a lot of seniors have fared better and pulled huge upsets on Thanksgiving Day. Those kids know they’re playing their last football game in front of a big crowd and that’s special.”
Brockett also warned the nation that Seymour, as a running team, might give his squad problems. “We haven’t seen that all year. “In the day and age of people spreading you out and doing all that, very few people are going to put their hand on the ground and come right at you,” he said. “It’s going to be a big test for our defense.”
Listen above or visit High School Football America. Brockett’s interview begins at 32:00.
- Week 9’s Games to Watch: It’s elimination weekend in SCC
- Prep football: Hopkins hopes to finish on positive note vs. Hamden Hall
- Ansonia’s Brockett talks Chargers on national football show
- New Canaan’s Marinelli talks No. 1 Rams and an open division on WFSB
- Sean Patrick Bowley’s Audibles: Statewide guide to Week 9
- Pooch’s Picks: Predictions for Week 9
- No. 2 Ansonia survives Seymour’s upset bid
- GameTimeCT / Register Top 10 Poll: We have a new No. 1
- Regional football notebook: Guilford has sights on first division title
- Tuesday Morning Quarterback: Top Players, teams of Week 8; Look ahead to Week 9
- State Football beat: The Week 9 FCIAC, SWC, NVL championship scenarios
- The Day of New London previews, to broadcast New London-Middletown
- GameTimeCT Week 8 Plays of the Week
- Ray Curren’s Inside the SCC: The Week 8 running diary