The Shunpike Showdown
Cromwell/Portland at Rocky Hill
- WHERE/WHEN — at Rocky Hill HS, Wednesday, 6 p.m.
- RECORDS — Rocky Hill 2-7, Cromwell/Portland 7-1
- THANKSGIVING SERIES — Rocky Hill 3-0
- LAST YEAR — Rocky Hill 35-7
- PLAYERS TO WATCH — Rocky Hill: Sr. WR Belall Matar, Jr. QB Ja’Quan Graham, Jr. T Alex Boutin. Cromwell/Portland: Sr. QB Bryce Karstetter (2,420 yards, 27 passing TDs, 3 rushings TDs). Sr. RB Bryan Lockwood (416 yards, 12 TDs). Sr. WR Nick Wright (1298 receiving yards, 16 touchdowns).
- AT STAKE — For Cromwell/Portland seeding in the Class S playoffs and its first win in the Shunpike Showdown. The Panthers have already clinched a playoff berth. For Rocky Hill an upset and a 3-win season, not to mention a 4-0 record in the Showdown.
- SPB’s Pick: Cromwell/Portland
- PETE’s Pick: Cromwell/Portland
- Calpreps Projection: Cromwell/Portland 44-3
Who will win the Shunpike Showdown?
Total Response: 39 Votes
Battle for the Old Red Milk Jug
Granby Memorial at Canton
- Where/When: Canton HS, 6 p.m.
- Team records: Granby 6-3, Canton 1-8
- Thanksgiving Series Record: Granby leads series 5-3
- Last year: Granby 19-8
- Players to watch: GRANBY: Jr. QB/DB Jackson Rome (18 total TDs, 707 passing yards, 572 rushing yards, 3 interceptions), Sr. RB/LB Garrett Strain (399 rushing yards, 6 TDs, 155 receiving yards 2 TDs, 49 tackles. CANTON: Sr. QB Dugan Lloyd, Soph. RB Nathan Biega.
- At Stake: The Milk Jug.
- SPB’s Pick: Granby
- PETE’s Pick: Granby
- Calpreps Projection: Granby 40-3
Who will win the Old Red Milk Jug?
Total Response: 37 Votes
Windsor Locks/Suffield/East Granby at Stafford/Somers/East Windsor
- Where/When: Stafford High, Lighted field behind school, 6 p.m.
- Team records: Windsor Locks/Suffield/East Granby 5-4, Stafford/Somers/East Windsor 9-0
- Thanksgiving Series Record: Stafford/Somers/East Windsor leads series 3-0
- Last year: Stafford/Somers/East Windsor 27-6
- Players to watch: WINDSOR LOCKS/SUFFIELD/EAST GRANBY: Sr. QB/DB Jameson Gill, Sr. Miguel Gonzalez RB/DB. STAFFORD/EAST WINDSOR/SOMERS: Sr. QB/RB/DB Colton Engel (1,273 yards of total offense, 20 total TDs), Sr. RB/DB Julien Rivas (1,240 total yards, 17 TDs, two interceptions)
- At Stake: With a playoff spot already locked up, a win gives Stafford a home playoff game in Class S. The Bulldogs can also become outright Pequot League champions.
- SPB’s Pick: Stafford
- PETE’s Pick: Stafford
- Calpreps Projection: Stafford 35-10
Who will win W.Locks/Suff./E.Gran. at Staf./E.Wind./Som.?
Total Response: 33 Votes
Battle of Route 83
Ellington at Rockville
- Where/When: Rockville HS, 6:30 p.m.
- Team records: Ellington 1-8, Rockville 6-3
- Thanksgiving Series Record: Ellington leads series 1-0
- Last year: Ellington 26-20
- Players to watch: ELLINGTON: Jr. RB/MLB Nathan Schneider (307 yards, TD), Sr. WR Colin Garrow (20 catches, 289 yards 2 TDs), WR/CB Xavier Velez (14 catches, 109 yards, 2 interceptions). ROCKVILLE: Sr. RB/DB Kejuan Greene. Sr. QB Ben Ambro.
- At Stake: Rockville, in coach Erick Knickerbocker’s first season, can actually clinch a state playoff berth in Class M with a win and then help in the form of East Haven or Wolcott losing and a couple bonus games.
- SPB’s pick: Rockville
- PETE’s Pick: Rockville
- Calpreps Projection: Rockville 42-0
Who will win the Battle of Route 83?
Total Response: 38 Votes
Route 66 Bowl
Wilcox Tech at Vinal/Goodwin/Whitney Tech
- Where/When — at Palmer Field, Middletown, 6 p.m.
- Team Records — Wilcox Tech 3-6, Vinal 3-6
- Last Year — DNP
- Players to Watch — Wilcox: Devario Reid (1,221 yards, 11 TDs); Sr. QB Derek Gendreau (952 yards, 10 TDs); Jr. WR Troy Mitchell (511 yards, 6 TDs receiving); Vinal: Sr. RB/DB Nehemiah Brown (2,008 yards, 18 TDs rushing).
- At Stake — A four-win season for the victor.
- SPB’s Pick: Vinal
- Pete’s Pick: Vinal
- Cal Preps Projection — Vinal 28-19
Who will win Wilcox Tech at Vinal/Goodwin/Whitney Tech?
Total Response: 27 Votes
Platt at Maloney
- Where/When: Falcon Field, Meriden, 6 p.m.
- Team records: Platt 7-2, Maloney 8-1
- Series Record: Maloney leads 30-29-1
- Last year: Maloney 27-21
- Players to watch: PLATT: Sr. WR Jake Baker (42 catches, 630 receiving yards, 12 total TDs) Sr. QB Lorenzo Sanson (1,117 passing yards, 20 total TDs), Soph. RB Roberto Salas (1,022 rushing yards, 8 TDs). MALONEY: Sr. WR/DB Victor Marquez (45 catches, 812 yards receiving), Sr. QB Elliot Good (1,946 passing yards, 23 TDs), Soph. RB James Tarver, Sr. OL Ryan Martel, Sr. OL DJ Posey.
- At Stake: A lot. For Platt win the Stoddard Bowl and the Class L playoffs await. The Panthers can also tie the all-time series record between the two schools. If Maloney wins they will host a quarterfinal game in the Class L playoffs.
- SPB’s Pick: Maloney
- PETE: Platt
- Calpreps Projection: Maloney 31-22
Who will win the Stoddard Bowl?
Total Response: 46 Votes
Wethersfield at Newington
- Where/When: Alumni VAR Field on Alumni Road, 6 p.m.
- Team records: Wethersfield 6-3, Newington 3-6
- Series Record: Newington leads 22-19-1
- Last year: Newington 17-13
- Players to watch: WETHERSFIELD: Jr. WR/DB Connor Pace (767 total yards, 12 TDs, 44 tackles), Jr. LB/OL Jacob Rivera (81 tackles, 4 sacks), Sr. DE Mitchell Quadratio (65 tackles, 9 sacks). NEWINGTON: Soph. QB Nicholas Pestrichello, Jr. LB/OL Julian Mulero.
- At Stake: Bragging rights which is big for a game that is in its 43rd season. Wethersfield has an outside chance at a Class L playoff berth, but would need to win and see North Haven, Platt, Windsor and RHAM lose to even have a decent shot.
- SPB’s Pick: Wethersfield
- Pete’s Pick: Wethersfield
- Calpreps Projection: Wethersfield 34-8
Who will win between Newington at Wethersfield?
Total Response: 40 Votes
Olde Canal Cup
Plainville at Farmington
- Where/When: Farmington HS, 6 p.m.
- Team records: Plainville 6-3, Farmington 5-4
- Thanksgiving Series Record: Farmington leads 6-1
- Last year: Farmington 21-7
- Players to watch: PLAINVILLE: Sr. QB Frank Griffin, Sr. RB/DB Brendan Quilter, Sr. WR Brady Callahan. FARMINGTON: Jr. QB Jacob Conrad, Jr. WR Niko Bouzakis, Sr. RB Angel Velez.
- At Stake: The Olde Canal Cup. Plainville has a chance to break a three-game losing streak in the series and finish with the most wins since going 8-4 in 2010.
- SPB’s Pick: Plainville
- PETE’s Pick: Plainville
- Calpreps Projection: Plainville 26-24
Who will win the Old Canal Cup?
Total Response: 34 Votes
Manchester at East Hartford
- Where/When: East Hartford HS, 6:30 p.m.
- Team records: Manchester 4-5, East Hartford 7-2
- Thanksgiving Series Record: Manchester leads series 12-5
- Last year: East Hartford 26-25
- Players to watch: MANCHESTER: Sr. QB Logan Tomlinson (1,705 passing yards, 18 TDs, 538 rushing yards, 9 TDs.) Sr. WR AJ Alibrio (26 catches, 422 yards, 8 TDs), Jr. LB Cory Williams (71 tackles, 4.5 sacks), Jr. DB/WR Trey West (4 interceptions, 24 catches, 368 yards, 2 TDs). EAST HARTFORD: Sr. QB/DB Raquan Tompkins, Sr. RB/DB David Ortiz, Sr., WR/DB Jaquan Allen, Sr., WR/DB Jaydon Gardener, Soph. LB Justyn Gardener.
- At Stake: Win for East Hartford and hope that New Canaan and Staples both lose.
- SPB’s Pick: East Hartford
- PETE’s Pick: East Hartford
- Calpreps Projection: East Hartford 44-27
Who will win between Manchester at East Hartford?
Total Response: 43 Votes
Windsor at Middletown
- Where/When: Middletown HS, 6:30 p.m.
- Team records: Windsor 7-2, Middletown 9-0
- Series Record: Windsor leads series 6-2
- Last year: Middletown 24-7
- Players to watch: WINDSOR: Sr. RB Daniel Elliot, Jr. LB Kobe Foster. MIDDLETOWN: Sr. RB Xzavier Reyes (966 rushing yards, 17 TDs), Jonate Dempsey (11 passing TDs, 864 passing yards), Sr. WR/RB, Tyreece Lumpkins (29 catches, 292 receiving yards, 338 rushing yards, 8 total TDs), Sr. LB, Stephen Hill Jr., (59 tackles)
- At Stake: Windsor is in the playoffs with a win. Middletown can clinch the top seed with a win and some help along the way.
- SPB’s Pick: Middletown
- PETE’s Pick: Windsor
- Calpreps Projection: Middletown 26-21
Who will win between Windsor and Middletown?
Total Response: 49 Votes
East Catholic at Northwest Catholic
- Where/When: at Bloomfield HS, 6 p.m.
- Team records: East Catholic 3-6, Northwest Catholic 3-6
- Thanksgiving Series Record: Northwest Catholic leads series 2-1
- Last year: Northwest Catholic 29-6
- Players to watch: EAST CATHOLIC: Sr. RB/LB Matt Byam (615 rushing yards, 11 total TDs, 81 tackles), Sr. RB/DB Noah Vail (762 all-purpose yards, 6 total TDs). NORTHWEST CATHOLIC: Jr. RB/DE Issac Riley, Jr. QB/LB Connor Rich, Jr. LB Sean Dolce.
- At Stake: Bragging rights.
- SPB’s Pick: NWC
- PETE’s Pick: NWC
- Calpreps Projection: NWC 28-17
Who will win East Catholic at Northwest Catholic?
Total Response: 29 Votes
Bulkeley/HMTCA/Weaver at Hartford Public
- Where/When: Annie Fisher School, Hartford, 6 p.m.
- Team records: Bulkeley/HMTCA/Weaver 0-9, Hartford Public 1-8
- Thanksgiving Series Record: Public led 51-39-4 heading into 2007 game 94 games
- Last year: Hartford Public 46-4
- Players to watch: BULKELEY/HMTCA/WEAVER: Sr. WR Angel DeJesus, Sr. WR Tahj Fothergill, Jr. RB Joshua Thomas. HARTFORD PUBLIC: Sr. CB/QB Jermaine Jones, Sr. WR Calvin Mayo, Sr. WR/DB Ryan West, Sr. OL/DL Jarier Perez.
- At Stake: Hartford Public can make it 10 wins in a row in this rivalry, now in its 95 meeting.
- SPB’s Pick: Hartford Public.
- PETE’s Pick: Hartford Public.
- Calpreps Projection: Hartford Public 31-3
Who will win Bulkeley/HMTCA/Weaver at Hartford Public?
Total Response: 28 Votes
Battle of the Bell
Bristol Eastern vs. Bristol Central
- Where/When: Muzzy Field, Bristol, 2 p.m.
- Team records: Bristol Eastern 0-9, Bristol Central 4-5
- Thanksgiving Series Record: Bristol Central leads 34-23-2
- Last year: Bristol Central 33-27
- Players to watch: BRISTOL EASTERN: Sr. QB Justin Marshall, Soph. RB Treyvon Daniel. BRISTOL CENTRAL: Sr. QB/DB Justus Fitzpatrick, Sr. RB Darrell Payton Jr.,
- At Stake: With Bristol Central forfeiting two games – for use of an eligible player – the game lost any playoff appeal. This year the two teams fight for the Battle of the Bell.
- SPB’s Pick: Bristol Central
- PETE’s Pick: Bristol Central
- Calpreps Projection: Bristol Central 35-7
Who will win the Battle of the Bell?
Total Response: 32 Votes