Above: Video of Greenwich’s football team when it learned it had clinched a state playoff spot following West Haven’s victory over Fairfield Prep.
With the conclusion of Thanksgiving football, the 2016 CIAC Football playoff pairings are now set, though unofficial until the CIAC football committee meets Friday to approve the final point standings.
The CIAC quarterfinals will begin Tuesday, 6:30 p.m. at home sites of the higher seeds. (Capital Prep will reportedly play its game at Trinity College; Darien will play its game at Boyle Stadium in Stamford).
Here’s what went down on Thanksgiving morning…
Greenwich clinched the final spot in Class LL with its 37-10 victory over Staples, coupled with losses by Cheshire and Fairfield Prep. After Greenwich’s game, the Cardinals gathered in their school to watch as West Haven rallied to defeat Fairfield Prep on CPTVSports, touching off a wild celebration back in Week 3.
Of course, they’ll have to play FCIAC rival Darien. The Blue Wave earned the No. 1 seed with its 37-34 overtime victory over New Canaan. Darien defeated Greenwich 42-35 in a wild regular season game.
In Class L, Naugatuck’s loss to Ansonia allowed Masuk to clinch. Notre Dame-West Haven clinched with its Green Bowl win over Hamden. Platt’s victory over Maloney in the Stoddard Bowl ultimately knocked Maloney out and allowed Harding to sneak in as the No. 8 seed.
The Class M field was completed the night before. St. Joseph’s loss to Trumbull dropped the Hogs into the No. 5 seed. Wolcott’s win over Holy Cross lifted the Eagles to the No. 4 seed. Valley Regional/Old Lyme clinched the No. 1 seed.
The Class S field was completed the night before. Capital Prep/AF clinched the top seed over Ansonia on bonus games. Cromwell/Portland’s loss to Rocky Hill Wednesday night dropped the Panthers to the No. 6 seed.
2016 Playoff Pairings
[aesop_image imgwidth=”720″ img=”http://www.gametimect.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/2016-Playoff-Graphic.jpg” credit=”Sean Patrick Bowley” align=”left” lightbox=”on” captionposition=”left”]
- No. 8 Greenwich (7-3) at No. 1 Darien (10-0)
- No. 7 Ridgefield (8-2) at No. 2 West Haven (10-0)
- No. 6 Shelton (8-2) at No. 3 Newtown (10-0)
- No. 4 NFA (8-2) at No. 4 Southington (10-0)
- No. 8 Harding (7-3) at No. 1 Windsor (10-0)
- No. 7 Masuk (7-3) at No. 2 New Canaan (9-1)
- No. 6 Notre Dame-WH (7-3) at No. 3 New London (9-1)
- No. 5 Platt (8-2) at No. 4 Middletown (8-2)
- No. 8 Berlin (8-2) at No. 1 Valley Regional/OL (9-1)
- No. 7 New Fairfield (8-2) at No. 2 Hillhouse (9-1)
- No. 6 Bunnell (8-2) at No. 3 Killingly (9-1)
- No. 5 St. Joseph (8-2) at No. 4 Wolcott (8-2)
- No. 8 Seymour (8-2) at No. 1 Capital Prep/AF (9-0)
- No. 7 Stafford/Somers/East Windsor (9-1) at No. 2 Ansonia (10-0)
- No. 6 Cromwell/Portland (9-1) at No. 3 Bloomfield (10-0)
- No. 5 Bullard-Havens (9-1) at No. 4 Rocky Hill (9-1)