The 2015 New Haven Register All-Area Boys Golf Team. Capsules by Joe Morelli.
Photos by New Haven Register staff.
Most Valuable Player
Notre Dame-West Haven, senior
- Stats: Finished with a stroke differential of 0.17. Co-medalist at the Division II state meet with a 73 at Crestbrook Park GC. Finished second at the SCC championship meet after shooting 71, helping lead Notre Dame to the team title.
- Honors: Three-time All-Area, coaches all-state and All-SCC selection. Notre Dame’s Athlete of the Year.
- Off the course: Member of the National Honors Society. Volunteered at Special Olympics.
- Up next: Will play at UConn next season.
Coach of the Year
Eric J. Bergman
- Stats: In his 10th season, led the Huskies to a 22-2 record and the program’s third straight Shoreline Conference and Division IV state championship. Set school record of a 142 cumulative team score in a match at Fenwick Golf Course.
- Honors: Also Area Coach of the Year in 2013.
- Off the course: English teacher at Morgan.
Notre Dame-West Haven, sophomore
- Stats: Shot 79 in the SCC championship meet to help Notre Dame win the team title. Led the Green Knights in scoring three times this season, including two even-par rounds of 35.
- Honors: Coaches All-State and All-SCC selection.
- Off the course: A student at Notre Dame.
- Stats: Was medalist (74) at the Shoreline Conference meet for the second straight year. Overall stroke differential of 1.9 and just 1.3 in the Shoreline Conference. Shot 78 in the Division IV championship meet.
- Honors: Two-time All-Area, four-time coaches all-state and All-Shoreline selection.
Off the course: Member of the National Society of High School Scholars (3.5 GPA) and school honor roll.
- Up next: Will play at the University of Tampa.
- Stats: Shot 76 in the Shoreline Conference tournament and 80 in the Division IV state tournament to help Morgan with both titles. Finished with a 4.9 stroke differential.
- Honors: First Team All-Shoreline Conference selection. Second team all-league selection in both 2013 and 2014.
- Off the course: High honors student (3.95 GPA), scholar athlete and member of the school’s Student Leadership Society.
- Stats: Shot 74 in the Division III state championship meet, tying for fifth place. Was medalist eight different times and shot under 40 five times.
- Off the course: Honors student. Also plays basketball.
- Stats: Finished with a 4.5 stroke differential this season. Shot a 75 in the SCC championship meet to help the Tigers finish tied for second place. Shot a 36 in a match against Notre Dame-West Haven.
- Honors: Two-time All-SCC selection.
- Off the course: Recipient of the Army Reserve National Scholar Athlete award. Played for the basketball team and member of the school’s Stock Market Club.
- Up next: Will attend UConn next fall.
- Stats: Finished with a 1.86 stroke differential to lead Xavier to a 16-3 record and a tie for second place in the Southern Connecticut Conference championship meet.
- Honors: MVP of the Xavier team this season.
- Off the course: Member of school’s National Honor Society, Science Honor Society and French Honor Society.
- Up next: Will play golf at Providence next season.
North Haven, senior
- Stats: Shot 73 at Crestbrook Park GC, earning him co-medalist laurels at the Division II state championship meet. He was solo medalist the last two years in that meet. Medalist in the SCC tournament last year.
- Honors: Four-time All-Area, coaches all-state and All-SCC selection. Area MVP in 2014. Also team MVP for fourth straight year.
- Off the course: All-State pick in fencing.
- Up next: Will take a year off from school and play amateur golf.
- Stats: Finished with a 2.6 stroke differential for the SCC co-runners up in the league tournament. Shot a 73 in the SCC championship meet at Race Brook CC, finishing in third place. Six-time medalist this season.
- Honors: Two-time All-Area, All-SCC and coaches all-state selection.
- Off the course: High honors student and member of the school’s Stock Market Club.
- Up next: Will study finance at Penn State.
Fairfield Prep, junior
- Stats: Shot 73 in the SCC championship meet at Race Brook CC to help the Jesuits finish tied for second place and shot 77 at the Division I state meet at Timberlin GC to help Fairfield Prep place ninth. Medalist or co-medalist in 13 of the team’s 15 matches. Led the Jesuits with 17 birdies and two eagles. Was medalist in the Division I meet in 2013.
- Honors: Three-time All-Area, coaches all-state and All-SCC selection.
- Stats: Shot 70 in the SCC tournament at Race Brook CC to earn medalist laurels. Shot a 76 at the Division I state tournament at Timberlin GC. Finished with a 2.1 stroke differential this season and a 2.3 differential for his career.
- Honors: Two-time All-Area, All-SCC and coaches all-state pick.
- Off the course: Made the honor roll every marking period at Cheshire. Also a part of the Future Business Leaders of America and a scholar athlete.
- Up next: Will play golf at Bentley College next season.
- Stats: Shot a 78 to earn medalist laurels at the Fairchester Athletic Association tournament held at New Canaan Country Club. Shot 74 to finish fourth in the WNEPSA New England championship meet.
- Honors: All-Fairchester League selection.
- Off the course: Also plays squash.