The New Haven Register All-State Softball Team. Capsules by Mike Pucci. Photos by Catherine Avalone and Arnold Gold.
Most Valuable Player
- Stats: Went 17-0 and guided the Lady Knights to a third straight Class LL state championship. Had a 0.62 ERA and struck out 235 batters in 112 innings while allowing just 14 walks. Finished her career with a 42-0 record.
- Honors: An All-CCC and a Class LL coaches all-state selection and was an All-American honorable mention pick by USA Today. Two-time Register State Player of the Year.
- Up next: Will play at Boston College.
Coach of the Year
- Stats: Led Southington to its third straight Class LL state championship and another No. 1 spot in the final Register/GameTimeCT Top 10 poll. The Blue Knights are 48-0 under Hernandez’s direction.
Seymour, Jr., P
- Stats: Went 21-3 with an earned run average of 0.89, pitched two no-hitters, including one perfect game, struck out 278 batters and walked just 21 in 166 innings for the Wildcats, who advanced to the NVL tournament championship game and the Class M state semifinals. Batted .376 with 32 RBIs and 27 runs.
- Honors: An All-NVL and a Class M coaches all-state selection. Also the 2014 Register Area MVP.
- Up next: Verbally committed to play at Bucknell.
Oxford, Sr., P
- Stats: Tossed a three-hitter with 10 strikeouts to lead Oxford past St. Joseph to the Class M state title. Pitched her a perfect game in a victory over Rocky Hill in the quarterfinals and a no-hitter in a win over Tolland in the semifinals. Also led the Wolverines to the Naugatuck Valley League title in the team’s first year in the league.
- Honors: Three-time Register All-State All-Area selection, All-NVL pick.
- Up next: Will play softball at Coastal Carolina next season.
Cheshire, Sr., 3B
- Stats: Batted .417 with 25 RBIs and a single-season school record 10 home runs, had a fielding percentage of .994. Led the Rams to the SCC tournament semifinals and to the Class LL state championship game.
- Honors: A two-time All-SCC selection and a Class LL coaches all-state pick, was a three-time All-SCC Scholar-Athlete, selected to the CHSCA Senior All-Star Game, was named the SCC Player of the Year (2015).
- Up next: Will play softball and study civil engineering at UMass-Lowell.
Foran, Sr., SS
- Stats: Batted .537 with 36 hits, including five home runs, an on-base percentage of .587, a slugging percentage of .820, 21 runs and 21 RBIs. Had a career batting average of .429 and finished with 141 hits.
- Honors: A two-time All-SCC and coaches all-state selection.
- Off the field: Volunteered at the Foran summer softball camp and at the Mary Wade Nursing Home.
- Up next: Will play at Stony Brook University.
Oxford, Sr., C
- Stats: Batted .612, had 52 hits, including 11 doubles, five home runs and four triples, had an on-base percentage of .722 and a slugging percentage of 1.074. Led the Wolverines to the NVL and Class M titles. Finished her career with more than 100 hits.
- Honors: An All-NVL and a Class M coaches all-state selection, named the NVL Senior Player of the Year, was the MVP of the NVL tournament.
- Up next: Will play at American International College.
East Haven, Jr., SS
- Stats: Batted .512, had 44 hits, including four homes runs, an on-base percentage of .597, a slugging percentage of .754, 33 RBIs and 15 stolen bases for the Class L state champions. Has 126 career hits.
- Honors: An All-SCC and Class L coaches all-state selection, named MVP of the Class L championship game.
- Off the field: Also plays volleyball. A member of the school’s honor society.
Darien, Sr., P
- Stats: Went 16-2 with a 0.68 ERA, struck out 210, walked just 19, batted .571 with 36 hits, including seven home runs, 31 RBIs, an on-base percentage of .663 and a slugging percentage of 1.079.
- Honors: A four-time All-FCIAC selection and a three-time coaches all-state selection. Won the Darien Athletic Excellence Award.
- Off the field: National Honor Society, Anatomy Club, volunteer for the Big Brother/Big Sister program. Was also captain of the cross country team.
- Up next: Will play at the University of Virginia.
Southington, Sr., 2B
- Stats: Batted .621 and set single-season school records with 55 runs and 54 hits. Had 28 RBIs, six triples, five doubles, four home runs and stole 15 bases. Set career school records for batting average (.529), games (98), runs (170), hits (176) and walks (53).
- Honors: A four-time All-CCC selection, a Class LL coaches all-state selection, selected to play in the Senior All-Star game, named the Class LL state championship game MVP this season.
- Up next: Will play at Central Connecticut State.
St. Joseph, Sr., SS
- Stats: Batted .423 with an on-base percentage of .558 and a slugging percentage of .803, had 30 hits, including 10 doubles, five home runs and one triple, 28 runs, 22 walks and 20 RBIs for the Cadets, who won the FCIAC tournament title and advanced to the Class M state championship game.
- Honors: An All-FCIAC and a Class M coaches all-state selection.
- Up next: Will play at Manhattan College.
Fitch, Jr., P
- Stats: Went 25-1 and struck out 244 batters in 149 innings for the Falcons, who complete an unbeaten regular season, won the ECC tournament championship and advanced to the Class L state championship game. Also batted .450.
- Honors: An All-ECC selection and a Class L coaches all-state pick. Was named the Gatorade State Player of the Year.
- Off the field: Member of the debate team, the student council and the National Honor Society.
Southington, Sr., SS
- Stats: Hit ,536 with 45 hits, and set single-season school records for RBIs (64), doubles (12) and triples (11). Finished her career by setting school records for games (98), triples (18). Set the program’s single-season record for stolen bases (33) last season.
- Honors: Was a three-time All-CCC selection and a Class LL coaches all-state pick in 2015. Was selected to play in the Senior All-Star game.
- Up next: Will play at Le Moyne College.