The 2015 New Haven Register All-Area Softball Team. Capsules by Mike Pucci. Photos by Arnold Gold and Catherine Avalone.
Most Valuable Player
- Stats: Tossed a three-hitter with 10 strikeouts to lead Oxford past St. Joseph to the Class M state title. Pitched her a perfect game in a victory over Rocky Hill in the quarterfinals and a no-hitter in a win over Tolland in the semifinals. Also led the Wolverines to the Naugatuck Valley League title, in the team;s first in the league.
- Honors: Three-time Register All-State All-Area selection, All-NVL pick.
- Up next: Will play softball at Coastal Carolina next season.
Coach of the Year
- Stats: Guided the Easties to a 19-7 record, the SCC Oronoque Division title and the Class L state championship, his first, and the program’s first since 1984. Has won 247 games in 22 seasons. Won the Oronoque Division for the third straight season and for the fifth time in six seasons.
- Honors: Was also the Register’s All-Area Coach of the Year in 2013. Was named the New Haven Umpires Coach of the Year in 2013 and was inducted into the New Haven Tap-Off Hall of Fame in 2010.
Lauralton Hall, Sr., CF
- Stats: Batted .567 with an on-base percentage of .573, a slugging percentage of .744, had 37 runs, 21 stolen bases, 19 RBIs and three home runs for the Crusaders, who advanced to the SCC tournament championship game and the Class L quarterfinals.
- Honors: An All-SCC selection.
- Up next: Will play at Manhattan College.
Mercy, Sr., CF
- Stats: Batted .461 with an on-base percentage of .484, had 41 hits, including three home runs, and 31 RBIs.
- Honors: Was a three-time All-SCC selection and a 2015 Class LL coaches all-state selection.
- Off the field: An honor student. Also played field hockey.
- Up next: Will play softball at Le Moyne College.
Amity, Sr., CF
- Stats: Batted .417 with 22 RBIs, 18 runs, six doubles, two home runs and one triple for the SCC tournament champions.
- Honors: An All-SCC, a Class LL coaches all-state selection and a two-time Register All-Area pick.
- Up next: Will play at the University of Bridgeport.
Seymour, Jr., P
- Stats: Went 21-3 with an earned run average of 0.89, pitched two no-hitters, including one perfect game, struck out 278 batters and walked just 21 in 166 innings for the Wildcats, who advanced to the NVL tournament championship game and the Class M state semifinals. Batted .376 with 32 RBIs and 27 runs. Has committed to play at Bucknell.
- Honors: An All-NVL and a Class M coaches all-state selection. Also the 2014 Register Area MVP.
Cheshire, Sr., 3B
- Stats: Batted .417 with 25 RBIs and a single-season school record 10 home runs, had a fielding percentage of .994. Led the Rams to the SCC tournament semifinals and to the Class LL state championship game.
- Honors: A two-time All-SCC selection and a Class LL coaches all-state pick, was a three-time All-SCC Scholar-Athlete, selected to the CHSCA Senior All-Star Game, was named the SCC Player of the Year (2015).
- Up next: Will play softball and study civil engineering at UMass-Lowell.
Cheshire, Sr., P
- Stats: Went 21-3 with a 1.66 ERA and struck out 295 batters in 150 innings while leading the Rams to the Class LL state championship game.
- Honors: A two-time All-SCC selection, a Class LL coaches all-state pick, a four-time All-SCC Academic selection, selected to play in the Senior All-Star game.
- Up next: Will play softball and study civil engineering at Rowan University.
Foran, Sr., SS
- Stats: Batted .537 with 36 hits, including five home runs, an on-base percentage of .587, a slugging percentage of .820, 21 runs and 21 RBIs. Had a career batting average of .429 and finished with 141 hits.
- Honors: A two-time All-SCC and coaches all-state selection.
- Off the field: Volunteered at the Foran summer softball camp and at the Mary Wade Nursing Home.
- Up next: Will play at Stony Brook University.
Oxford, Sr., C
- Stats: Batted .612, had 52 hits, including 11 doubles, five home runs and four triples, had an on-base percentage of .722 and a slugging percentage of 1.074. Led the Wolverines to the NVL and Class M titles. Finished her career with more than 100 hits.
- Honors: An All-NVL and a Class M coaches all-state selection, named the NVL Senior Player of the Year, was the MVP of the NVL tournament.
- Up next: Will play at American International College.
Amity, Jr., P
- Stats: Won 12 games, had a 0.95 ERA and struck out 184 in 117 innings for the SCC tournament champions. Batted .329 with two home runs.
- Honors: An All-SCC and a Class LL coaches all-state selection. Is a two-time Register All-Area pick. Was named the MVP of this year’s SCC tournament.
North Branford, Jr., C
- Stats: Batted .506 with an on-base percentage of .549, had 40 RBIs and six home runs for the Thunderbirds, who won the Shoreline Conference championship and advanced to the Class M state quarterfinals.
- Honors: An All-Shoreline Conference and Class M coaches all-state selection, was named the Shoreline Conference Player of the Year.
- Off the field: Also plays field hockey and basketball.
Law, Sr., C
- Stats: Led team in batting average (.475), on-base percentage (.617) and slugging percentage (.644), had 29 RBIs, 21 runs, 20 walks and a fielding percentage of .990.
- Honors: A four-time SCC Scholar Athlete, a three-time All-SCC selection, a three-time coaches all-state pick.
- Off the field: CAPT scholar, secretary of the Model U.N. Club, never missed a day of school. Also played soccer and basketball.
- Up next: Will play at St. Thomas Aquinas College.
East Haven, Jr., SS
- Stats: Batted .512, had 44 hits, including four homes runs, an on-base percentage of .597, a slugging percentage of .754, 33 RBIs and 15 stolen bases for the Class L state champions. Has 126 career hits.
- Honors: An All-SCC and Class L coaches all-state selection, named MVP of the Class L championship game.
- Off the field: Also plays volleyball. A member of the school’s honor society.
Sheehan, Sr., P
- Stats: Went 18-7 with a 0.98 ERA, struck out an average of 10 batters per game and also batted .300.
- Honors: An All-SCC and a Class L coaches all-state selection. Selected to play in the CHSCA Senior All-Star game and the Umpires Scholar Athlete All-Star game.
- Up next: Will play for the University of Hartford.
Hand, Sr., C
- Stats: Was the team leader in average (.554), runs (35), on-base percentage (.600) and slugging percentage (.783), hits (46), drove in 26 runs and struck out just once.
- Honors: Was a four-time All-SCC selection and a two-time Class LL coaches all-state and Register All-Area selection.
- Off the field: Was also the captain of the ski team and also played field hockey. A member of the Uganda Club, volunteer at softball and field hockey camps, volunteer at local soup kitchens. Had a grade point average of 3.88. CAPT Scholar. An academic All-American for field hockey.
- Up next: Will play both field hockey and softball at Southern New Hampshire and study psychology.