The 2015 New Haven Register All-Area Boys Lacrosse team. Capsules by Dan Nowak. Photos by Arnold Gold unless noted.
Most Valuable Player
- Stats: Had 58 goals, 45 assists and 38 ground balls, set a single-season school record for points (103) and career school records for points (285) and goals (177). Also had 108 career assists and 159 career ground balls.
- Honors: Only SCC player selected a 2015 U.S. Lacrosse All-American, first team All-SCC and All-State pick.
- Off the field: Named the North Haven High CIAC scholar athlete of the year, finished in the top 10 in the 2015 graduating class, member of the Science, Latin, Math and National Honor Societies.
- Up next: Will play lacrosse at Wesleyan.
Coach of the Year
Notre Dame-West Haven
- Stats: It was a record-breaking season for the second-year coach (24-13 career record). The team ended up with a single-season school record 13 wins and advanced the furthest it ever has in the CIAC Class M tournament, losing 8-5 to Hand in the semifinals. ND scored 220 goals, allowed only 137 and had win streaks of six games and five games during the season.
- Honors: Named Connecticut High School Coaches Association Class M Coach of the Year.
- Off the field: Played lacrosse at Branford High, named Register All-Area Boys Lacrosse MVP in 2005, played at Quinnipiac University, a coach for the Bulldog Lacrosse Club and teaches social studies at Highville Charter School in New Haven.
Joseph Biondi Jr.
Notre Dame-West Haven, Sr., Midfield
- Stats: Had 37 goals, 17 assists and set single-season school records with 325 face-offs for an 89 percent face-off win percentage. The Orange resident led the Green Knights to the CIAC Class M semifinals.
- Honors: First team All-SCC pick, selected for the Senior All-Star game, Notre Dame boys lacrosse team MVP.
- Off the field: National Honor Society, National Italian Honor Society, SCC All-Academic team, also played hockey, Peer Counselor, volunteer at St. Lawrence Grammar School in West Haven.
- Up next: Will play lacrosse at Florida Southern.
Hopkins, Sr., Attackman
- Stats: Had 40 goals and 21 assists. Scored six goals in a 7-1 win over King in the Fairchester Athletic Association tournament championship game.
- Honors: First team All-FAA and All-Western New England Secondary School Lacrosse Association selection.
- Off the field: Founder and Board member of Flyte Scholastics, a New Haven tutoring organization.
- Up next: Will attend Boston College.
Fairfield Prep, Sr., Attackman
- Stats: Had 48 goals and 25 assists to lead the Jesuits. Had five goals in a 13-8 win over Guilford in the SCC tournament semifinals. Helped the Jesuits win CIAC Class M titles in 2012 and 2013 and SCC tournament championships from 2012-14.
- Honors: Two-time first team All-SCC and All-State selection.
- Off the field: Also played hockey. Volunteer with Storm Hockey from 2010-2015 helping special needs individuals play hockey.
- Up next: Will play lacrosse at Union College.
Guilford, Jr., Midfield
- Stats: Had 37 goals and 16 assists and led the Indians to an 11-8 record and the CIAC Class M quarterfinals. A three-year starter for Guilford.
- Honors: First team All-SCC and All-State selection. According to coach Brian White, LoRicco was the top vote getter for midfielders in the SCC for all-league.
- Off the field: His dad Anthony LoRicco is a former Guilford boys coach and coached men’s lacrosse at Quinnipiac and Southern Connecticut State.
Xavier, So., Midfield
- Stats: Had 31 goals and 21 assists for the Falcons. Had four goals to lead Xavier to a 13-8 win over Fairfield Prep in the SCC tournament final. His best game came in the SCC semifinals, scoring the tying goal with 27 seconds left in regulation and the winning goal in overtime for a 15-14 win over North Haven.
- Honors: SCC tournament most outstanding player, first team All-SCC pick.
- Off the field: Also plays football.
- Up next: Has committed to play lacrosse at Loyola-Maryland in 2017.
Hand, Sr., Attackman
- Stats: He used his 6-foot-3 size to dominate around the crease, scoring 36 goals and leading the Tigers to a 14-6 record and Class M state final. Ended up with 68 career goals. He had four goals in an 8-6 win over Fairfield Prep, the first time the Tigers beat the Jesuits in nine years.
- Honors: Selected for the Senior All-Star game.
- Off the field: Also played football and enjoys fishing and snowboarding.
- Up next: He will attend Marymount University.
Hamden Hall, So., Midfield
- Stats: Had 37 goals and 25 assists to lead the Hornets. One of his best games came in a 12-11 win over Kingswood Oxford when he scored six goals.
- Honors: All-FAA and All-WNESSLA selection, member of the Junior Olympic Indoor Lacrosse team.
- Off the field: Academic honors student.
- Up next: Has already verbally committed to play lacrosse at Brown University.
Notre Dame-West Haven, Sr., Defender
- Stats: The Guilford resident had 13 goals and 12 assists this season and 29 goals and 31 assists for his career. He is one reason the Green Knights closed the season with a 6-1 record.
- Honors: First team All-SCC pick and selected for the CHSCA Senior All-Star game.
- Off the field: Member of the National Honor Society, also played football, a Team ND Student Ambassador and a Peer Counselor.
- Up next: Will play lacrosse at Drew University.
North Haven, Sr., Attackman
- Stats: One-half of the Indians’ scoring punch with Colin Uyeki, Pecora had 52 goals and 47 assists and led the Indians to a No. 1 seed in the CIAC Class M tournament. Pecora ended up with a school career record 147 assists and also had 134 career goals.
- Honors: First team All-State and All-SCC pick, selected for the Senior All-Star game.
- Off the field: A volunteer youth lacrosse coach and played trumpet for the concert band.
- Up next: Will play lacrosse at Springfield College.
Xavier, Sr., Attack
- Stats: Was one of the Falcons’ all-around players dominating in scoring (50 goals), playmaking (53 assists) and ball possession (53 ground balls). Led the Falcons to the SCC tournament title with four goals and three assists in a 13-8 win over Fairfield Prep in the SCC championship game. Xavier ended up 15-4 overall.
- Honors: Two-time Register All-Area and two-time first team All-SCC pick, selected for the Senior All-Star game.
- Off the field: Member of the National Honor Society, Science Honor Society and Spanish Honor Society, high honors at Xavier all four years, earned the Brother Celestine Award for maintaining no grade less than an A all four years, Xavier offensive player of the year in both lacrosse and soccer, Cultural Diversity club.
- Up next: Will play lacrosse at Stevenson University.
Hopkins, Sr., Defender
- Stats: The sole U.S. Lacrosse All-American selected from the Fairchester Athletic Association, he was a lock-down defender for the Hilltoppers. He was a team leader in forced turnovers and takeaways. He also added two goals and four assists this season.
- Honors: First team All-FAA and All-WNESSLA pick, Peter H. Newcomb Lacrosse award for sportsmanship and character.
- Off the field: Also played football and basketball, class president his sophomore, junior and senior years, graduated Cum Laude.
- Up next: Will play lacrosse at Dartmouth.
St. Joseph, Sr., Defender
- Stats: Stratford resident is a big reason the Cadets only allowed 16 goals in four CIAC Class S tournament games. They went 4-0 in the tournament including a 14-5 win over Weston in the Class S championship game. Ended up with 75 ground balls and 37 forced turnovers.
- Honors: First team All-State selection.
- Off the field: An avid hiker and snowboarder.
- Up next: Will play lacrosse at Marymount University.
Fairfield Prep, Jr., Midfield
- Stats: Had 27 goals and 20 assists this season and 52 goals and 38 assists for his career. Led the Jesuits to the SCC tournament final where they lost 13-8 to Xavier. The Jesuits ended up 12-7, advancing to the CIAC Class L first round.
- Honors: First team All-SCC selection.
- Off the field: Also plays hockey and volunteers as a lacrosse coach for Bridgeport Youth Lacrosse.
Hand, Jr., Midfield
- Stats: Routinely scoring multiple goals a game, he had two goals in a 9-8 win over Barlow in the CIAC Class M quarterfinals and two goals and an assist in an 8-5 win over SCC rival Notre Dame-West Haven in the Class M semifinals.
- Honors: Two-time Register All-Area selection, second team All-SCC and All-State pick.
- Off the field: Also plays football.