OFFENSIVE PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
Ansonia’s Arkeel Newsome: Rushed for 396 yards and six touchdowns to become the state’s all-time leading rusher in a 56-21 win over Masuk on Thursday.
Foran’s Sean Deegan: Caught seven passes for 188 yards and three touchdowns in a 54-18 win over Lyman Hall on Friday.
Hillhouse’s Harold Cooper: Rushed for 183 yards and two touchdowns to become the state’s sixth player to surpass 6,000 career yards in a 42-2 win over Sheehan on Thursday. Cooper also made a touchdown reception and scored on a punt return.
Middletown’s Dario Highsmith: Rushed 24 times for 346 yards and two touchdowns and threw two touchdown passes in a 49-21 win over Bristol Central on Friday.
Shelton’s Jason Thompson: Rushed for 303 yards and two touchdowns in a 36-19 win over Wilbur Cross on Friday.
Newington’s Jake Hedberg: Set a school-record by throwing for 459 yards in a 52-36 win over South Windsor on Friday. Hedberg completed 26 of 39 passes with four for touchdowns.
Jack Shaban, Barlow — Ran for 231 yards and five touchdowns in Barlow’s romp of Torrington.
Trumbull’s Nick Roberts: Threw for 371 yards and three touchdowns in the Eagles’ 50-44 shootout win over Greenwich.
Greenwich’s Austin Longi — Ran for 330 yards and five touchdowns in the loss to Trumbull.
DEFENSIVE PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
Bullard Haven’s Hakeem Fletcher: Made 12 tackles, one sack and forced a fumble in a 28-0 win over Platt Tech on Friday.
Hamden Hall’s Jason Criscio: Had 12 tackles and a sack in a 36-31 victory over King on Saturday.
Hand’s Dan Rogers: Returned an interception 25 yards for a touchdown in a 35-27 win over Fairfield Prep on Friday.
Cheshire’s Colin Thorne: Made 10 tackles, an interception and blocked an extra point in a 13-6 win over Hamden on Friday.
SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
Notre Dame-West Haven’s Chris Stanio: Kicked a 26-yard field goal and made five extra points in a 38-20 win over Amity on Friday.
Granby’s Matt Holmes: Kicked a 36-yard field goal with three seconds remaining in a 17-14 win over Lewis Mills on Saturday.
Hand’s Tom Wilson: Returned a kickoff 85 yards for a touchdown in a 35-27 win over Fairfield Prep on Friday. Wilson also caught seven passes for 177 yards and two touchdowns.
Morgan’s Gabe Eriksen: Scored on an 82-yard kickoff return in a 47-8 win over Haddam-Killingworth on Friday.
Vinal Tech/East Hampton’s Ryan Fazzino: Returned the game’s opening kickoff 73 yards for a touchdown in a 21-0 win over O’Brien Tech on Saturday.
Manchester’s Anthony Rivas: Returned the second-half kickoff 91 yards for a touchdown to begin a run of 38 straight Manchester points in a 68-41 win over Conard.
TEAMS OF THE WEEK
Crosby: Chris Matthews rushed for 218 yards and two touchdowns as the Bulldogs defeated Immaculate 43-20 on Friday to win their first game of the season.
Hall: Tom Honyotski completed 31 of 42 passes for 399 yards and three touchdowns as the Warriors (4-1) rallied past previously unbeaten Southington 49-37 on Saturday. Hall trailed by 21 and 16 points before scoring 28 unanswered points to emerge victorious.
Tolland: Defeated Rockville 19-0 on Friday to win its first game of the year.
West Haven: Stuffed a two-point conversion attempt in overtime in a 35-34 win over Xavier on Friday. That allowed Westies coach Ed McCarthy to tie former Ledyard coach Bill Mignault for career wins (321).
PLAYS OF THE WEEK
ON THE AIR
- Torrington (0-6) at Holy Cross (4-2), Thursday, 6 p.m.: WATR 1320-AM
- West Haven (5-1) at Hamden (3-3), Friday, 7 p.m.: WELI 960-AM
- Weston (3-3) at Newtown (6-0), Friday, 7 p.m.: CPTVSports (check local listings)
- Xavier (4-2) at Notre Dame-West Haven (3-3), Friday, 7 p.m.: WCNX 1790-AM | GoGreenKnights.com
- New Canaan (6-0) at Staples (5-1), Friday, 7 p.m.: WWPT 90.3-FM | MSGVARSITY.com
- Ansonia (6-0) at Wolcott (4-2), Friday, 7 p.m.: WATR 1320-AM
- Fairfield Warde (2-4) at Greenwich (3-3), Saturday, 3 p.m.: WGCH 1490-AM
GET OUT AND GO
- Valley Regional/Old Lyme (5-0) at Morgan (5-0), Friday, 6:30 p.m.: Time to find out who the best team in the Pequot Conference is.
- Hand (5-1) at Shelton (5-1), Friday, 7 p.m.: A chance for Shelton to earn a statement victory, or Hand to keep rolling.
- New Canaan (6-0) at Staples (5-1), Friday, 7 p.m.: Staples has won five straight since losing to Xavier in its season opener.
- Seymour (3-3) at Derby (4-2), Friday, 7 p.m.: A must-win for both teams if they expect to qualify for the playoffs.
- West Haven (5-1) at Hamden (3-3), Friday, 7 p.m.: West Haven coach McCarthy will attempt to set the state record for career victories.