OFFENSIVE PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
- Ansonia’s Arkeel Newsome: Rushed for 327 yards and four touchdowns in a 62-27 win over Wolcott on Friday. Newsome also scored on a 78-yard punt return. Newsome tied a state record he already shared with two other players by running for more than 300 yards in three straight games.
- Bunnell’s Devante Teel: Caught 12 passes for 172 yards and three touchdowns in a 40-35 win over New Milford on Friday. Teel also scored on an 85-yard kickoff return.
- North Haven’s Ethan Suraci: Rushed for 199 yards and four touchdowns in a 47-20 win over Guilford on Friday.
- Platt Tech’s Opnyckie May: Rushed for 213 yards and two touchdowns in a 37-13 win over Wilcox Tech on Saturday.
- Barlow’s Jack Shaban: Rushed for 207 yards and four touchdowns in a 41-19 win over Pomperaug on Friday.
- Greenwich’s Austin Longi: Accounted for five of Greenwich’s six touchdowns in a 42-7 win over Warde. Longi scored two rushing TDs, a 45-yard TD reception, an 85-yard touchdown pass and a 20-yard interception return.
DEFENSIVE PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
- Amity’s David Buono: Recovered two fumbles in a 41-14 win over Wilbur Cross on Friday. Buono also ran for 102 yards and a touchdown.
- Ellington/Somers’ Christian Schneider: Scored on a 50-yard fumble recovery in a 41-26 win over Windsor Locks/Suffield/East Granby on Saturday.
- Farmington’s Ivan Guadalupe: Made three interceptions in a 35-0 win over Bristol Central on Friday.
- Sheehan’s Jordan Lytle: Made 14 tackles in a 47-13 win over Law on Friday. Lytle also scored on a 1-yard run.
- Valley Regional/Old Lyme’s Chris Jean-Pierre: Made two interceptions in a 51-6 win over Morgan on Friday. Jean-Pierre also scored on an 8-yard run.
SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
- Bristol Eastern’s Jeremy Meccariello: Made a 25-yard field goal with three seconds remaining to lift the Lancers to a 30-28 win over Windsor on Friday.
- Hall’s Jordon Bell: Scored on a 95-yard kickoff return in a 21-6 win over New Britain on Friday.
- Hand’s Tyler Phan: Kicked a 29-yard field goal with 24 seconds remaining to lift the Tigers to a 44-41 victory over Shelton on Friday.
- St. Paul’s Reid Moran: Returned the game’s opening kickoff 80 yards for a touchdown in a 59-31 loss to Naugatuck on Saturday.
- Valley Regional/Old Lyme’s Matt Przybysz: Scored on a 95-yard kickoff return in a 51-6 win over Morgan on Friday.
TEAMS TOF THE WEEK
- Kennedy: Elijah Benjamin and Jacob Gonzalez each ran for two touchdowns as the Eagles won their first game of the season with a 33-15 victory over Watertown on Friday.
- Lyman Hall: Kyle Smith threw two touchdown passes and ran for another as the Trojans snapped a 16-game losing streak with a 22-14 win over East Haven on Friday.
- Stamford: Chris Durant threw a touchdown pass to Andrew Antonie with 1:09 left to lift the Black Knights to a 19-14 win over Bassick on Friday. The win snapped Stamford’s 15-game losing streak and gave first-year coach Jamar Greene his first victory at the school.
- West Haven: Westies defeated Hamden 49-7 on Friday, which allowed head coach Ed McCarthy to break the state record for career victories (322).
PLAYS OF THE WEEK
ON THE AIR
- Xavier (5-2) at Hand (6-1), Friday, 7 — WCNX 1710-AM | WLIS 1420-AM / WMRD 1150-AM
- Morgan (5-1) at North Branford (4-2), Friday, 6:30 p.m.: WELI 960-AM
- Woodland (7-0) at Holy Cross (5-2), Friday, 6:30 p.m.: WATR 1320-AM
- Staples (5-2) at Trumbull (6-1), Friday, 7 p.m.: WWPT 90.3-FM
- Oxford (4-3) at Barlow (6-1), Friday, 7 p.m.: CPTVSports.org
- Cheshire (3-4) at Notre Dame-WH (2-5), Friday, 7 p.m.: Gogreenknights.com
- Greenwich (4-3) at Central (0-7), Friday, 7 p.m.: WGCH 1490-AM
- Kennedy at Torrington, Friday, 7 p.m.: WAPJ 89.9-FM / 105.1-FM
GET OUT AND GO
- Farmington (7-0) at Middletown (7-0), Friday, 7 p.m.: Two of the state’s most electric players, Farmington’s Ivan Guadalupe and Middletown’s Dario Highsmith, face off in this CCC Division II West tilt between unbeaten teams.
- St. Joseph (7-0) at New Canaan (7-0), Friday, 7 p.m.: The winner here has a legitimate claim to being the state’s best team.
- Morgan (5-1) at North Branford (4-2), Friday, 6:30 p.m: North Branford in danger of losing its third straight game. Morgan lost its first last week to unbeaten Valley Regional/Old Lyme.
- Xavier (5-2) at Hand (6-1), Friday, 7 p.m.: Hand stopped the Falcons 30-game winning streak last season. Xavier, the three-time defending Class LL champion, needs a victory to stay in the playoff hunt.
- Woodland (7-0) at Holy Cross (5-2), Friday, 7 p.m.: This is the last chance anyone has to keep Woodland from winning the NVL’s Copper Division.