With its 23-21 loss to unranked New London, Middletown dropped out of the GameTimeCT/New Haven Register Top 10 poll for the first time this season.
The Blue Dragons fell from No. 3 down to No. 11.
Moving up to fill the vacuum is unbeaten Platt, which debuts in the poll for the first time this season.
Not only did New Canaan retain the No. 1 spot, it picked up five more first-place votes from Ansonia for a total of 25. Ansonia remained at No. 2 with four first-place votes.
Newtown took the No. 3 spot vacated by Middletown. West Haven leap-frogged Glastonbury and into the No. 4 spot.
Dropped out: Middletown (3).
The following voted: Mary Albl, Fairfield Minuteman; Marc Allard, Norwich Bulletin; Bob Barton, New Haven Register; Bill Bloxsom, Hersam-Acorn; Doug Bonjour, Connecticut Post; Sean Patrick Bowley, New Haven Register; Jim Bransfield, Middletown Press; Kyle Brennan, Waterbury Republican-American; Chris Brodeur, Danbury News-Times; George DeMaio, WELI; Gerry deSimas, The Collinsville Press; Mike DiMauro, The Day of New London; Scott Ericson, Stamford Advocate; Tom Evans, Norwalk Hour; Francesco Graziano, CPTV Sports; Ned Griffen, The Day of New London; John Holt, WFSB-3; Mark Jaffee, Waterbury Republican-American; Ken Lipshez, Meriden-Record Journal; Mike Madera, Elm City Newspapers; Joe Morelli, New Haven Register; Kevin Nathan, WVIT-30; Pete Paguaga, Torrington Register Citizen; Dave Phillips, Shore Line Newspapers; Mike Pucci, New Haven Register; Kevin Roberts, Bristol Press; Dave Ruden, The Ruden Report; Tom Yantz, Hartford Courant; Jimmy Zanor, Middletown Press.
A Closer Look
- 1. New Canaan (9-0) (25) — Last week: Def. Wilton 45-7. This week: vs. Trinity Catholic, Friday, 7 p.m.
Bottom line: The Rams have clinched a spot in the FCIAC championship game, to be played on Nov. 22 at Trumbull.
- 2. Ansonia (9-0) (4) — Last week: Def. Seymour 21-20. This week: vs. Crosby, Thursday, 6 p.m.
Bottom line: A closer than expected finish against Seymour is the likely reason the Chargers lost six first-place votes this week.
- 3. Newtown (10-0) — Last week: Def. Stratford 34-0. Next game: SWC championship, Nov. 21.
Bottom line: The Nighthawks earn a forfeit win over Immaculate this week. Newtown will face the winner of Friday’s contest between Barlow and Brookfield for the SWC title.
- 4. West Haven (8-1) — Last week: Def. Hand 46-35. This week: vs. Shelton, Friday, 7 p.m.
Bottom line: Westies need to win at least one of their two remaining games to reach the playoffs. West Haven hosts Shelton this week and then visits Fairfield Prep on Thanksgiving.
- 5. Glastonbury (8-1) — Last week: Def. New Britain 34-6. This week: at Windsor, Friday, 7 p.m.
Bottom line: The Tomahawks have won eight in a row since losing their season opener to Southington.
- 6. St. Joseph (8-1) — Last week: Def. Fairfield Warde 47-27. This week: at McMahon, Friday, 7 p.m.
Bottom line: The Hogs will clinch a berth in their first FCIAC title game, and earn a rematch with New Canaan, if they can defeat McMahon.
- 7. NFA (7-1) — Last week: Def. Killingly 56-12. This week: vs. Stonington, Saturday, 1 p.m.
Bottom line: Beware, Wildcats. Stonington surprised Ledyard last week and will seek to pull off another upset.
- 8. North Haven (8-1) — Last week: Def. Foran 28-14. This week: vs. Darien, Friday, 7 p.m.
Bottom line: The state’s biggest game this week takes place at Vanacore Field. Huge (huge!) playoff implications in this one.
- 9. Southington (7-1) — Last week: Def. East Hartford 55-20. This week: vs. South Windsor, Friday, 7 p.m.
Bottom line: Stephen Barmore completed 8 of 10 passes for 188 yards and three touchdowns in the Blue Knights’ latest win.
- 10. Platt (9-0) — Last week: Def. Rockville 53-7. This week: at Northwest Catholic, Saturday, 1:30 p.m.
Bottom line: The Panthers will be challenged when they visit the Indians (7-2) this week.
- The Week 10 GameTimeCT/Register Top 10 Poll
- Week 10 football schedule
- Mike Pucci: Fairfield Prep embraces challenge of reaching LL playoffs
- Ray Curren’s Inside the SCC: Not everything’s a zero-sum game
- Sean Patrick Bowley: Thrill of victory/agony of defeat on Armageddon weekend
- FCIAC playoff picture
- SWC playoff picture