The CIAC has announced its list of 2014 spring and non-spring football teams.
Spring football teams are allowed to conduct practice for 10 days any time after Memorial Day, but must end before the end of the school’s year.
Only freshmen, sophomores and juniors are allowed to participate in spring practices. The first three days teams are required to hold conditioning practice without full pads. Athletes involved in spring sports must end their seasons before participating in spring football.
Teams that elect not to hold spring practices are allowed to begin fall practice four days earlier than spring teams.
A couple of notes:
- There are 70 programs conducting spring football practice, up from 64 a year ago.
- Seventy-six teams will be conducting extra fall practice, down from 82 a year ago.
The list confirms the following new co-op teams:
- Abbott Tech/Immaculate
- Bulkeley/Hartford Magnet Trinity College Academy (HMTCA)
- Sacred Heart/Kaynor Tech, Capital Prep/Achievement First
- Public Safety Academy / Metropolitan Learning Center / Two Rivers Magnet / Academy of Aerospace & Engineering (all members of Hartford’s CREC school system)
- Vinal Tech/East Hampton/Goodwin Tech
Traditional Spring Football (70)
Additional Days in Fall (76)