ANSONIA — Arkeel Newsome ran for 120 yards and three touchdowns on 10 carries and Jai’Quan McKnight threw a pair of touchdown passes as Ansonia defeated Crosby 50-8 on senior night at Jarvis Stadium.
Sophomore Tyler Bailey and Senior Jack Williams both scored touchdowns. Thomas Majchzak also caught a touchdown pass for Ansonia (10-0). Chris Herrera scored for Crosby (1-9).
Depending on the outcome of this weekend’s games, Ansonia is scheduled to play in the NVL Championship game either Wednesday at Waterbury’s Municipal Stadium or on Thanksgiving vs. Naugatuck.
A Woodland win over Derby will put the game on Wednesday. A Woodland loss and a Naugatuck win will put it on Thanksgiving.
The NVL title game date was changed from Thursday to Wednesday to accommodate Ansonia’s desire to attend late coach Jack Hunt’s induction into the Connecticut High School Coaches Association Hall of Fame. The banquet is Thursday night.
Crosby……0 0 8 0–8
Ansonia….18 26 0 6 — 50
- A– Tyler Bailey 28 pass from Jai’Quan McKnight (kick failed)
- A–Thomas Majchzak 38 pass McKnight (kick failed)
- A–Arkeel Newsome 10 run (run failed)
- A–Newsome 16 run (Withold Gul kick)
- A–Newsome 7 run (Gul kick)
- A–Jack Williams 2 run (kick failed)
- A–Bailey 7 run (kick failed)
- C–Chris Herrera 2 yard run (Herrera run)
- A–Jack Williams 1 run (no conversion)
Team records: Crosby 1-9, Ansonia 10-0