The 2015 New Haven Register All-Area Boys Soccer team. Capsules by Joe Morelli. Photos by Peter Hvizdak.
Most Valuable Player
West Haven, Jr., F
- Stats: Finished with 31 goals and five assists for the Westies, the Southern Connecticut Conference tournament finalists.
- Honors: Two-time Area MVP and All-SCC Quinnipiac Division and coaches all-state selection.
- Off the field: Native of Togo in Africa.
Coach of the Year
- Stats: Led Hand to a 17-2-1 record and the team’s fourth straight Southern Connecticut Conference Hammonasset Division title. Team currently has a 41-game unbeaten streak during the regular season. Has 110-35-15 overall record, which includes the 2010 SCC championship and three Class L state semifinal appearances in the past four years.
- Honors: The SCC Co-Coach of the Year and the 2010 Register Area Coach of the Year.
- Off the field: Works at the Connecticut Sportsplex in North Branford.
Morgan, So., F
- Stats: Finished with 30 goals and 10 assists for the Shoreline Conference regular season champions and tournament runners-up.
- Honors: All-Shoreline Conference and coaches all-state selection.
- Off the field: Also participates in both indoor and outdoor track and field. Volunteers at Eliot Middle School in Clinton and at soccer camps during the summer.
Guilford, Sr., M
- Stats: Played multiple positions for the Indians, helping lead them to the Class L state quarterfinals, where they lost to the eventual champions, Avon. Finished with six assists.
- Honors: All-Southern Connecticut Conference Hammonasset Division selection. Chosen to play in the Senior Bowl.
- Up next: Considering Northeastern, UConn and Cornell to attend next fall.
Lyman Hall, Sr, D
- Stats: Had eight goals and seven assists to help lead Lyman Hall to the Class L state quarterfinals. Part of a defense that posted seven shutouts and also rallied from a 2-0 deficit to beat Barlow in the Class L second round.
- Honors: All-SCC Housatonic Division selection.
- Off the field: Member of the school’s Spanish Club.
- Up next: Considering Southern Connecticut State and Albertus Magnus to possibly play at next fall.
Hand, Sr., M
- Stats: Finished with six goals and 10 assists for the four-time SCC Hammonasset Division champions. Been a big part of the team’s current 41-game regular season unbeaten streak.
- Honors: All-SCC Hammonasset Division selection and Senior Bowl participant.
- Off the field: High honors student.
- Up next: Considering George Washington, Villanova, Tulane and Emory to attend next fall.
Cheshire, Sr., F-M
- Stats: Finished with 21 goals and seven assists for the SCC Housatonic Division champions.
- Honors: All-SCC Housatonic Division and coaches all-state selection. Chosen to play in the Senior Bowl. Greater New Haven Soccer Officials Association Male Player of the Year.
- Off the field: Four-time All-SCC Academic Team, honor roll student and also participated in tennis and outdoor track and field.
- Up next: Looking to play at Bentley next fall.
Blaise Francois Haba
West Haven, Sr., M
- Stats: Key playmaker finished with 12 goals and 10 assists for the Southern Connecticut Conference tournament finalists.
- Honors: Two-time All-SCC Quinnipiac Division selection.
- Off the field: Also participates in track and field for the Westies.
- Up next: Considering playing soccer at Southern Connecticut State or New Haven.
Wilbur Cross, Jr., F
- Stats: Finished with 17 goals and 10 assists to lead the Governors to the Southern Connecticut Conference Oronoque Division title.
- Honors: Top vote getter to make the All-SCC Oronoque Division team.
- Off the field: Honor roll student and volunteer soccer coach at Conte West Hills Magnet School in New Haven.
Hopkins, Sr., M
- Stats: Finished with three goals and eight assists for the Hilltoppers.
- Honors: Selected to play in the NEPSSA Senior All-Star game and also named to the watch list for the 2015 Girls and Boys High School Soccer All-American game. Named to the NSCAA All-State team and the WNEPSSA Class A/B select team last season.
- Up next: Will play at Lehigh in the fall.
Foran, Sr., M
- Stats: Four-year starter finished with 10 goals and six assists.
- Honors: Three-time All-SCC Hammonasset Division selection. Coaches all-state pick this year.
- Off the field: AP Scholar with Distinction and member of school’s National Honors Society, Key Club, Unicef Club, Stem Club and Investment Club member.
- Up next: Considering Yale, where he has been accepted, MIT, University of Chicago and Fordham among others to attend next fall.
Hand, Sr., M
- Stats: Captain was a big factor in the midfield for the Tigers, helping lead them to the SCC Hammonasset Division title and the Class L state semifinals.
- Honors: All-SCC Hammonasset and coaches all-state selection. Chosen to play in the Senior Bowl.
- Off the field: High honors student and a National Honors Society member.
- Up next: Considering UCLA, USC, Cal-Berkeley, NYU and Rice to attend next fall.
Fairfield Prep, Jr., M-D
- Stats: Key performer for the SCC Quinnipiac Division champions. Helped Fairfield Prep post eight shutouts this season. Also had nine goals and four assists.
- Honors: Two-time All-Area and All-SCC Quinnipiac Division selection.
- Off the field: Also plays baseball for the Jesuits.
Shelton, Sr., M
- Stats: Finished with 16 goals and five assists to lead Shelton to its first Southern Connecticut Conference tournament title.
- Honors: Two-time All-SCC Housatonic Division performer. First Team All-SCC this season, along with being team MVP.
- Off the field: Member of the Spanish National Honors Society and volunteers with the Appalachia Service Project.
- Up next: Will play at Springfield College next fall.
Fairfield Prep, Jr., GK
- Stats: Finished with a 0.9 goals against average for the Southern Connecticut Conference Quinnipiac Division champions. Scored on a penalty kick against Guilford.
- Honors: All-SCC Quinnipiac Division selection.
Hopkins, Sr., F
- Stats: Finished with 16 goals and four assists in 16 games for the Hilltoppers.
- Honors: Two-time All-Area selection. Chosen to both the WNEPSSA All-Star team and the Senior All-Star team.
- Up next: Will attend Harvard in the fall.