ANSONIA >> Arkeel Newsome scored three touchdowns in No. 1 Ansonia’s 41-7 rout of Watertown Thursday afternoon at Jarvis Stadium.
It was Ansonia’s 36th consecutive victory, which tied a school record (set in 1975-78) and the second-longest win streak in state history. Cheshire won 49 straight from 1994-1997.
Newsome ran for 103 yards and two touchdowns on three carries and returned a punt 79 yards for a touchdown before heading to the bench. Jai’Quan McKnight returned the opening kickoff 85 yards for a touchdown.
Tajik Bagley and Saiheed Sanders added touchdowns for Ansonia (8-0). Michael Marino caught a 38-yard touchdown pass from Alexander Catanaalo for Watertown (1-7).
Ansonia 41, Watertown 7
Watertown 0 0 0 7 — 7
Ansonia 20 21 0 0 — 41
A—Jaiquan McKnight 85 kickoff ret (Gul kick)
A—Arkeel Newsome 7 run (kick failed)
A—Arkeel Newsome 79 punt ret
A—Tajik Bagley 15 run (Gul kick)
A—Arkeel Newsome 84 run (Gul kick)
A—Saiheed Sanders 42 pass from Jaiquan McKnight (Gul kick)
W—Michael Marino 38 pass from Alexander Catanaalo (Desaulniers kick)
Team records: Ansonia 8-0; Watertown 1-7
- St. Joseph hopes to right last year’s wrongs in No. 3 vs No. 2 showdown with New Canaan
- Week 8 Games to Watch: Welcome to Thunderdome
- Pooch’s Picks: Greater New Haven Predicitions
- Sean Patrick Bowley’s Audibles: The Statewide guide to Week 8
- Bransfield’s Middletown region picks
- Danbury football players honor coach’s cancer-stricken wife
- Ansonia wins school record-tying 36th straight game
- Darien football assistant arrested
- Week 7 Plays of the Week
- MSG’s Mike Quick: New Canaan would beat Ansonia by ‘three or four’ touchdowns